Many citizens of Utrecht want to help Refugees. Families, colleagues, sports friends, neighbours, organizations, companies, mosques and church communities all help refugees to feel welcome. Do you want to do something yourself? There are many ways to help. You can set up your own initiative, organize an activity or help with existing activities. Want to do something? Please register here. Below you can find examples of a variety of activities offered and helpful info about donations.
Own idea or activity?
Do you have an idea or an activity and would you like to invite refugees? You re most welcome! Share your ideas and plans with our team. We are happy to help you realising it. Send a mail to email@example.com
Do you have already an activity for which you want to invite refugees? Please report here.
For ideas see our tips below. More inspiration you may find at our page Experiences.
- Sports. Men, women, old people and young, all like sports. Invite them to join your own intramural team! Do you jog with a group or a run club? Perhaps you can invite azc-residents to join. Do you lift weights or crosstrain? Maybe you would like to offer those services to refugees as well? It would be nice to organize a tournament.
- Games. Is your neighbourhood planning a field day? Is your company or organisation planning a social outing? Are you involved in any type of meetup event for people of different backgrounds or languages? Consider inviting azc residents!
- Cooking and having dinner together is a relaxed way to meet others. You could organize a dinner with your family, club, organization, company or institution. Everlasting friendships often come from breaking bread. Like to give it a try? We can help you make contacts.
- Art & handcrafts. Being busy, creating something wonderful, and expressing yourself through art is a joyful activity. Transfer your skills to others in the fields of knitting, jewelry making, painting or photography, in large groups or on a small scale.
Welkom in Utrecht facilitates and organizes various activities whereby refugees from the asylum seekers' center or refugees living in Utrecht meet Utrecht residents. If you want, you can join. Mail for the possibilities and dates to firstname.lastname@example.org
Below some activities you could join:
- Cooking with women. Once per month women from Oog in Al and Lombok neighbourhoods cook together with women from the asylum seekers center in Het Wilde Westen. You are very welcome to participate.
- Cooking with young men. Once every two months, 3 Dutch young men cook and eat together with a group of male asylum seekers. Men from Utrecht are also very welcome to join. The cooking evenings take place in Het Wilde Westen.
- Blender Dance. Every month Mirte, Lisa and Leonie organize various dance workshops. From the Afghan Attan to Salsa and Lindy hops and more. It's about bringing people together from the neighborhood, the asylum seekers center and more. You are also very welcome there! As a participant but also as a giver of a workshop. Blenderdance takes place in Het Wilde Westen.
- Yallah Sabaya. A few times a year, Welkom in Utrecht organizes a Women's Evening together with De Voorkamer, BAK and Yallah Yallah. At Yallah Sabaya (which in Arabic means something like "Come on ladies, we're going to have fun together!) Syrian, Iraqi, Afghan, Yemeni, Turkish, Moroccan, Dutch and women with different backgrounds come to dance and chat. You re most welcome to join!
- Working together in a vegetable garden. Refugees from the asylum seekers' center and the onces already having a house in Utrecht regularly work together with Dutch people in various vegetable gardens. Utrechters who want to participate or want to work as volunteers are very welcome. More information? Send a mail to Frank@welkominutrecht.nu
Volunteering at an ongoing activity
Volunteering at an ongoing activity
Welkom in Utrecht facilitates and organizes various activities where volunteers are regularly asked on a one-off basis or more often. Below is a selection of the activities. Do you want to know more? Then mail to email@example.com
- Children's activities in the azc. Playing Around is a group of enthusiastic volunteers who organize an activity for children in the asylum seekers center a number of times a year - usually on Saturdays between 11 am and 1 pm. They regularly seek extra volunteers. For more information mail to Hellen@welkominutrecht.nu.
- Women's evening in the azc. Under the wings of Welcome to Utrecht, a number of volunteers are organizing a Women's Evening at the azc every Wednesday evening. Do you want to know more? Then mail to Hellen@welkominutrecht.nu
- Looking at art at the Centraal Museum. Every first Thursday evening of the month, from 7 p.m. to 8.30 p.m., residents of the asylum seekers center can go to the Centraal Museum, where they are given a guided tour. Do you want to join us as a supervisor or participant? Mail for more information to Rebecca@welkominutrecht.nu
Help with moving out
At a certain moment refugees got new houses and are ready to move out.
This can be a huge job. Some refugees have problems with language, with choosing the right home appliances or they have problems with transportation. They need a local citizen to help with these issues.
We have an initiative called ‘Verhuispool,’ where local Dutch citizens volunteer help newcomers with the move-in process.
If you want to help, let us know by mailing to firstname.lastname@example.org